Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Finished!

Well, I finished the marathon. I was able to complete my marathon before I turned 31 today.

I'm not entirely happy with my time and I didn't do as well as I thought. I think the biggest reasons were 1) I was in heels the day before and the arches of my feet gave out pretty early in the race and 2) I was running differently because I was trying to avoid the extensor tendinitis coming back. Luckily, it didn't until after the race, but I hurt EVERYWHERE else.

Here is the synopsis:

For the first 10 miles or so, I felt pretty good. I was making sure I ran really slowly so I can last longer. I also tried doing a run/walk every mile which was pretty natural since I walked every time I hit a water station. At mile 7, I saw a bystander with a Vizsla so that charged me up a little. Around the time I hit the freeway, I started getting side splits and the arches of my feet started giving out and cramping.

At the half-marathon mark, I was tempted to catch the shuttle for the half-marathoners since I was tired and my feet were screaming. I was also starting to feel a little discouraged since I hadn't seen any familiar faces (coaches or other teammates). However, I did commit to myself that unless the tendinitis came back, I would plow through to the end, whatever it would take. At that moment, I saw a coach and the team captain and felt energized to continue.

I basically ran/walk (mostly walked) until I made sure I hit the 19 mile mark before they cut off the race (which was around 11:30). I called for reinforcements and asked Phil to come and meet me at mile 22. The only reason I was able to go from Mile 20-22 was because I knew Phil was waiting for me at mile 22. Mile 20 is the infamous "wall" that a marathoner hits, and it was brutal. Mile 20 was at the top of a bridge and I was feeling discouraged. 6.2 more miles feel really long when every step makes you cry in pain.

Phil encouraged me and walked with me from mile 22. He even got me to jog a little at certain points. However, around mile 24-25, I was emotionally and physically drained and I started crying. I think I need to just cry it out for me to move on. It had been such a struggle to that point that I needed some sort of release. I still had side splits and my feet and calves would cramp up. I even had moments where a sharp pain hit the back of my left knee and my left leg would crumble. Luckily Phil was next to me to help hold me up during those moments.

In the last mile, it was not any easier. I did not feel better that I was almost done. Phil had to leave my side and stay with the bystanders. I ended up running/jogging the last bit because I needed to be by my family and Phil again soon or else I would just collapse and give up right there.

Yes, it took me almost 7 hrs and 10 minutes, a completely embarrassing time. However, I feel like I've learned a lot. Will I do it again? Probably, if anything, to apply my learning to the next one to get a reasonable time (which I'm positive that I can do).

I'm still sore, but I feel good and am grateful I have this week off. Thanks for everyone who sent their prayers and thoughts and called/emailed me before and after the marathon.


Here are things I learned:
1) Definitely pack water and electrolytes on your own. There was not enough during the race and I was grateful I decided last minute to bring some of my own
2) Pack as lightly as you can otherwise. Just enough of anything that you think you really need. By mile 20, you're going to feel every ounce you're carrying.
3) Stay off your feet as much as you can the day before. Do NOT wear heels of any kind. The arch and bottom of my feet were already hurting before it started.
4) Eat potassium and electrolytes days before the race. The arches on my feet had cramped up the night before and it didn't help that I was running 26 miles the next day. The arches were what gave me the most pain and I had to stop running pretty early because of it.
5) Bring an ipod and a cell phone. You will be bored, Bored, BORED.
6) Do NOT run alone. When I started feeling physically exhausted, I found that it would have helped to find any familiar face.
7) BodyGlide is your best friend. I didn't have any blisters. A cold bath (with ice) is your next best friend (so you can actually stand up the next day)
8) Be prepared to walk even longer than 26.2 miles. First of all, when you turn corners, you will not turn the tightest corner, nor will you be running completely efficiently. If you're lucky, you'll only run an extra quarter mile than you planned. Then, after you finish, you don't just end. You have to walk farther to collect stuff and return the chip in your shoe, as well as checking in and getting to the hotel shuttles. Anyways, be prepared to go farther.
9) You don't HAVE to use porto-potties. I used the bathrooms before the race, but did not need to use anything during the 7 hour run/walk.
10) It's OK to cry. Sometimes you just have to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Team Cameltoe said...

Thanks for priceless tips. I thought that I didn't need music since it is so many cheering along the course in NY, but perhaps I will bring earplugs to my iPhone anyway.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home