Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mom's Summary

My mom summed up the marathon pretty well in an email she sent to my family:

When I picked up Phil around 8:20 AM, Phoebe called and joyfully informed us that she was at mile 8. By then, she had already run 1 hour and 35 minutes. Based on Phoebe's original estimate, she should be able to make it to the finish line around 12:00 PM. However, Phoebe called again around 11:00 AM at mile 19 that she was in pain. Phil left us to trace the route backward to meet with Phoebe, for which I was very grateful because I was worried that Phoebe might got injured on the feet. I didn't want to call Phoebe to distract her, but I could call Phil for updates. While waiting for Phoebe, we placed the blanket under the shadow of a tree by a medical assistance tent. Some runners already turned in and lied on the cots for medical attention. We were close to the stage where performers were singing rock 'n' roll songs. Around 1:00 PM, Phil called that Phoebe was close to mile 25. We all went to the finish area and waiting nervously for Phoebe to show up. Finally around 2:00 PM, Phoebe slowly jogged by. We all cheered for her. When I saw her in pain, I was in tears. I am sure that everyone was relieved that it was over.
After the race, Phoebe suffered frequent cramps all over her legs, calves and feet. Phil seemed to know what to do with it. That's also a blessing. JJ was running back and forth between Phoebe and the medical tent for medical guidance and ice.
Our family celebration took place at a very nice and crowded Cheesecake Factory. Phoebe was all smiles again and JY was inspired to join her next year. JJ and I were inspired too that we would take small steps at a time. We will start with a 5K race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home