Monday, May 07, 2007

Half Marathon!

OK, I have been pretty silent for awhile, and the reason is that I got the flu around the end of March and hadn't run until last Saturday, April 28. I actually tried to run on the 19th, but the flu had become a bronchitis that had induced asthma so my doctor said that I should not run if it's causing me to have coughing fits. Since I was unable to figure out what the damage to my marathon training was due to this "vacation" from training, I decided to avoid the whole thing and not post until I knew the situation.

Last Saturday, I ran 2 miles and walked 3 miles for a total of 5 miles. Not great.

Last Monday, I ran 3 miles and ran/walked 2 miles for a total of 5 miles. Not great, but better.

Last Wednesday, I ran 5 miles and ran/walked 3 miles for a total of 8 miles at a pace of 12 minutes per mile (1:36 exactly). I was super excited about this given that this was my first week back from over a month-long break.

I decided to try to run a half-marathon yesterday. Mostly to see how I'd feel, and to try to catch up since the rest of the Team in Training folks are at 12-14 miles and are doing 16-20 miles next weekend. Amazingly, I was able to run 8.25 miles at about 11:30 and ran/walked the rest to do about a 2:45 half-marathon. The great thing is, I felt good afterwards and felt like I could have run more. The best part is, I'm not sore at all this morning (probably due to the 5 minute cold bath I ran on my legs yesterday).

Now, I'm no longer hiding in shame and embarrassment and can confidently say that I think I'm back on pace and should be able to finish the marathon in 5-6 hours. Even if I had run the marathon yesterday, at my pace, I could have pretty much walked the rest of the way and still have finished. That realization makes me excited and relieved.

All of you who have donated have been generous to the cause as well as supportive of my marathon training. I feel like it's my responsibility to do my best to uphold my part of the bargain - which is to finish the marathon. I'm glad that it looks like I can and that I won't disappoint you or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Thanks everyone for their encouragement and support!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home